Today is Autism Positivity Day 2013, and the theme for this year is “1,000 Ausome Things”. We get enough of hearing about the bad things about autism; let’s hear about the good things! For my contribution, see the list below…. (Note: I’m taking a few of them from my contributions to the #AutismUpside campaign.)
In no particular order:
- I don’t get involved in office politics and tend to remain a neutral party, which helps prevent some issues.
- I’m convinced that part of the reason I write fiction as well as I do (which is well, people say) is because I’m autistic.
- Knowing all sorts of facts about everything. My favourite piece of trivia; Trivia: So-called because the Romans posted notices of events where 3 roads met.
- Detail-orientation means not getting bored with tasks like data-entry, or doing cross-stitching.
- I don’t tend to judge people, but accept them as they are.
- Because we tend to look at details rather than generalize, we take everyone on their own merits. (Well, I do, at least! 😉 *snickers*)
- I obey the rules of the road, including going the safe speed limit and never parking in handicapped spots (I don’t need ’em).
- My vast imagination and creativity. My ASD has definitely been involved; that was how I retreated when I was overwhelmed.
- Can read the same books over and over again without being bored – and hey, find even more little details!
- Special Interests. They’re fascinating, and can provide everything from entertainment to job prospects.
- Because I don’t need the lights on much, I can save a bundle on electricity!
- I absorb information like a sponge, and for the most part, retain it. Especially when it relates to anything that is a special interest of mine.
- I understand my cats very, very well. And they bond with me easily.
Yay, thirteen “ausome” things! And there’s bound to be more out there! Pop over to the flash blog site (images attached are links), and how about putting up your own post about the ausome things about autism?